Gutters are the one thing that is “out of sight and out of mind” for the majority of the time. But, these often neglected components of your home play a huge role in the structural integrity of your house. So, it’s important to keep them clean to avoid any unexpected and unnecessary costly repairs.
Generally, the average lifespan of gutters is between 15 and 20 years, and if you have been not replaced or inspected these gutters in Perth for a long time they begin to rust and show noticeable cracks which may emerge into a big problem.
A clogged or broken gutter is a major source of problem and the results can be serious which can affect the well-being of your home and family. When the gutter becomes clogged, moisture gets accumulated and results in the growth of harmful bacteria that start to grow and spread. Moreover, clogged gutters interrupt the flow of water in the gutter system and the water would simply fall right next to the house and form a pool near the foundation.
A Flooded Basement
Pooling water next to the foundation makes the soil underneath the water to completely saturate and puts enormous amount of pressure on the side of your home. This pressure pushes the basement and lower walls inward, and creates cracks. Through these cracks, water gets into your home and causes mould growth and flooded basements.
Causes Allergic Conditions
As discussed earlier, clogged gutters become a breeding place for bacteria and spreads serious health problems like asthma and other allergic reactions. Keeping your gutter clean enables water to flow freely through the gutter system and eliminates the problem of bacterial growth.
In clogged gutters, the standing water can seep into the walls of a building and serves as an open invitation for termites and insects to thrive in areas with damp wood. They eat away the wood and cause extensive damage, which can result in thousands of dollars in repairs. Most of the home warranties will not cover these damages and you’ve to spend money out of your pocket to rectify the issue.
Expert Tips to Protect Your Gutters from Clogging
- Once in a month, inspect and clean your downspouts.
- Tall hedges and trim trees away from the edge of your roof.
- Remove airborne debris by keeping your yard clean and sealing the garbage bins tightly.
- Install gutter cover or guards on your system to make clogging a non-issue for your property for many years to come. Even though guards cannot prevent small debris from entering into your gutter, they keep off larger particles that cause blockages, flooding, leakages, and sagging.
- Perform periodic maintenance and gutter repair in Perth to prevent leaf build up, cracks, pooled water, detached gutters and more.